It’s the time again to reflect on my progress for last month. This is getting scarier by the day with the due date in a month. Sigh! To recap my progress in July, let me show you my writing progress in a graph.
On 30 Jun, it was my first attempt in writing a section for my Chapter 2, together with Ben in our Virtual Coffee Meetup. I still put that word count in this graph as reference of how much I could achieve. I did 456 words in 2 Pomodoros that day, the highest so far. Since then, I started to write on daily basis, targeting 100 words at first. The first week was pretty good. I met my target easily. Where or when I write? You would be surprised that I wrote during my idle time in tuition class (the time when you wait for your student to complete their work) for about 20 – 30 minutes a day.
As these writings are part of the first draft, I didn’t pay much attention to their sequence or grammar. I just put down whatever come to my mind about the topic I write. I write on my note book (not electronic one). Sometimes I still enjoy writing with pen and paper. Hehe! Then, I would transfer this writing to my MS Word document the next day or the next few days. This process is like a revision to me where I put more thoughts into my writing and edit it along the way while I type. These writings are still not in sequence yet but I have all the general idea what I want to say. The plan is to fit these writings into the gaps in my Chapter 2 sections.
On the second week, I raised my target to 200 words per day. It’s achievable even though I was off on one day. The third week was real bad, where I traveled for a short vacation. Initially I planned to work during the vacation but I should have known better. Who can really put her right mind to work during a holiday? Sigh! I failed miserably. It took be at least 1.5 weeks to recover my mood to write again. In between that time, I read a few more articles to get ideas and I finally managed to reach a new target of 300 words a day. Unfortunately, that was achievable on only 2 days.
I didn’t even try to work during the weekend initially as I didn’t want to sacrifice the quality time with the hubby. Okay, that’s very much an excuse to procrastinate and be lazy. Hehe! However, with my full-time working schedule, weekend is the only time I can work longer, so I decided to start working on weekend too now. Last weekend progressed quite well, even though I didn’t produce much writing, I put my whole dissertation into a clearer 1-page outline. Then, I transformed this page into longer outline with focus statements for each chapter. Focus statement is really helpful where I wrote what I want to put inside the chapter. I will talk more about this later when I become more familiar with it.
While working on the long outline, I started to develop my Chapter 3 in more detail. Find more reading to be done actually (again it will be a battle between reading and writing for my time). I have also put down my survey questions and analyzed them again to see if they are ready for data collection. I wish to pilot test it first before it goes live as I’m not so confident that the questions are clear enough or serve my purpose. There’s also a choice between Survey Monkey and Google Forms to host my survey. More about it later too.
Whoa! It’s already 620 words in this blog post. If only I can achieve that much for my chapter in half an hour. Haha!